Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Just a Staff

Exodus 4:1-5 Then Moses said, "What if they will not believe me or listen to what I say?..." The Lord said to him, "What is that in your hand?" And he said, "A staff." Then He said, "Throw it on the ground." So he threw it on the ground and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from it. But the Lord said to Moses, "Stretch out your hand and grasp it by its tail...that they may believe that the Lord, the God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob has appeared to you."

All Moses had was a staff. At this time in his life, he was just an ordinary shepherd. But GOD USED WHAT MOSES HAD. He didn't give Moses fancy clothes, fancy words, and a magic wand with which to do miracles. He used Moses' plain old shepherd's staff to showcase His might. He can use what you or I already have, the gifts we already possess. He doesn't have to make me fancier, prettier, smarter, more talented; He doesn't want to turn me into someone else. He wants to use what I already have. And what do I have? The gift of teaching. A heart of compassion for children. A desire to serve Him. A yearning to know Him better. A healthy body. Leadership potential. A VIBRANT SPIRIT. Passion. Conviction. Money and time to give. Two hands and two feet.

"But Lord," I ask, "What if they won't listen?" "It is not your job to make them listen," He replies. "Take the staff. Be willing to let Me use what you have. I love you the way you are and I made you for a reason. I gave you your gifts and talents...your staff. And I want to use you. I am the Lord your God. I will be with you and I will teach you what to say." I don't have to have all the answers. I don't have to have all the gifts. I just need to use what God gave me. And if people don't listen, or agree with me, that's okay. It's not my job to make them listen. I just have to be willing to let God use me. After all, it's just me. Just my gifts and talents. Just a staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment